Saturday, May 22, 2010

Bussing through Tibet


We are slowly heading through the vast rural Tibet landscape stopping in towns with monasteries. The roads are beyond scary for a prairie loving winnipeg girl. I have been coping by knocking myself out with Gravol. After Lhasa, we drove for roughly six hours to a small town named Gyangtsie. This used to be the third largest town in Tibet, we stop here because apparently the Chinese have had little to no influence here. Upon arrival we did a strenuous hike (training for Everest Base Camp) up a hill to see the Gyangtsie Castle. Built in the 900s, it was the stronghold for the region. I just figured that by the time anybody climbed up there, they would be to tired to fight anyone. The view was amazing. Gyangtsie was actually a very dirty and littered town. We passed a river that was pretty much a garbage river, it made me wonder why I was clutching to my empty water bottle in hope of finding a clearly marked recycling bin (which I never did find.) After having the best sleep of my trip, we went to a monastery in the morning where I had the pleasure of watching monks create beautiful sand mandalas. If I was a monk, there is no doubt in my mind that I would spend my days doing those.

In the afternoon, we headed to another town nearby named Shygantse. I spent the afternoon strolling around the market in search of authentic Tibetan monk boots. I did finally find these boots in the most unusual spot, back at the hotel while having a beer with the crew. Our server's mom's friend makes them, so he offered to go pick a few pairs for us to try on. I found that one pair fit like a glove and although I know I paid too much for them, it was the one thing that I really wanted to bring back from Tibet and with no middle man, the money did go directly to the maker of the traditional boots.

I did find an internet connection here, but was having a hard time accessing the blog site - yet again. Please note, blogs are really not the best way to go in China as they are off limits.

I am off to have a good sleep because apparently our next two spots will be pretty basic... but the sights should be good.

Everest base camp in two days....

1 comment:

  1. Come on Mel, climb to the top!
    I hear the food in China is great.
    Have fun.
    Chris B,

    ReplyDelete