Saturday, May 22, 2010

Mount Everest (Rombuk)


Well I really do feel like I am "roughing it" here... We drove on more insane roads (if you can call them roads) up in the mountains to reach Rombuk (which is about 10 min drive or two hour walk to Base Camp) About two hours from Rombuk, our bus lost it's camshaft, so we were stranded for about three hours until a public bus from Base Camp came to rescue us. I was scared that we would have to hike back down the mountain, but everything went well and we should have a new bus waiting for us in the morning. Gravol has officially become my best friend with these roads. We are staying at a very basic guest house here - I honestly don't know how people live up here. I can't sleep (I think it is because of the altitude) so I decided to do a little recap of the day. The wind is just howling outside, I am curled up with about five blankets, my sleeping bag, full clothing and a winter coat and I am still freezing my butt off. A few people in our group are leaving at 5:30 in the morning to hike to Base Camp to see Everest in it's glory at sunrise. At first, I thought of joining them but I feel out of breath here just standing up, so I opted to watch the sunrise from here with a hot coffee and breakfast and then taking the bus up to Base Camp. I am looking forward to going down to +45 weather in Kathmandu...

No comments:

Post a Comment